Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Statement of Purpose: Blogging About Non-Duality

What is non-duality?

Is it a mystical perception? Is it an abiding awareness of "reality"?

What follows is a great passage in the modern literary canon that describes this self-less awareness of an objective state:

"I was six when I saw that everything was God, and my hair stood up, and all that," Teddy said. "It was on a Sunday, I remember. My sister was only a very tiny child then, and she was drinking her milk, and all of a sudden I saw that she was God and the milk was God. I mean, all she was doing was pouring God into God, if you know what I mean."

-"Teddy" by J.D. Salinger (included in Nine Stories)

What I hope to explore in this blog is the conversation between the East and West regarding non-duality in literature, religion, philosophy, and particularly in the now-emerging exploration of the possible affinities between the traditions of Jewish thought and the currents of Taoist, Buddhist, and Hindi thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment